Friday, June 17, 2011

Its the weekend already!

Mààdwó! Good evening!

Caroline & I had a very interesting week at Friends of the Nation! As she was mentioning in her post the other day we did A LOT of reading however it was all very interesting & informative! We both have learned about the current issues challenging the fishermen and fishmongers in the western region of Ghana. Today we met with our partner organization - The Coastal Resources Centre. Their office is attached to ours and they are collaborating with Friends of the Nation right now on a project titled Hen Mpoano- “Our coast”. We went to the CRC director’s house for an all team meeting today. He has a big beautiful home up on a hill overlooking the sea. The home has been renovated to include electricity and running water. Caroline and I were excited to see running water in the taps in the kitchen and bathroom. It is funny the little luxuries we don’t tend to appreciate at home because we are so used to always having them.

All in all we are settling in well and we are both grateful for our terrific host family as they have been very welcoming and helpful to us. We are also thankful for all of the workers at Friends of the Nation as they are all very friendly and a pleasure to work with. We are looking forward to next week as we are expecting to be getting more projects and learning experiences at Friends of the Nation. I am hopefully going out to a town just east of where I am staying in now called Shama where I will be helping at a clinic with issues concerning family planning and maternal/ reproductive health. I am very excited that I will have the opportunity to use some of my nursing skills this summer! I am also enjoying my placement with this NGO as I have not learned a lot of development theories before and I find it all very interesting! I consider myself lucky to be partnered with Caroline though because she studies development at university and can always thoroughly answer any questions I have!

Tomorrow and Sunday are our days off. We are planning to go explore downtown Takoradi. Caroline and I think alike and we have decided that our goal while we are downtown is to find ice cream! Hopefully our mission will be a success! Then on Sunday we are going to go down to the ocean with our host brother and his friends!


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment