Wednesday, July 6, 2011

From Ghana with Love


Hello everyone!

It has been a while since my last post so I decided it was time for an update! Caro beat me to describing our wild weekend so I will focus on the work I have been doing and some of my own adventures in Accra!

One of my responsibilities as Site Director in Ghana this summer is meeting with various NGO's to determine if they would be suitable potential partners for future internship placements with QPID. This has been an extremely exciting opportunity to meet with incredible people and organizations passionate about development and motivated to make a difference in their country. I met with "DAAPU"- Defence Against Aids Poverty and Underdevelopment and was invited to spend a day following the CEO to the various activities of their work . The activities I observed included HIV/AIDS education at a school in a neighbourhood referred to as an "urban slum" and community mobilization to get tested for HIV on the corner of 2 different busy markets. It was extremely interesting and eye opening. The next organization I met with was called "Pro-Link" which focuses on empowering women and children and other typically disadvantaged or marginalized groups in order to promote human rights, health and development. Both these organizations are part of the Coalition of NGO's in Health in Ghana which all work towards the common goal of reducing and eradicating HIV, malaria and TB and work towards basic health, nutrition and sanitation. I have also met with the Gender Development Institute of Ghana which also aims to promote gender equality and women's rights and the African Centre for Human Development, whose main project right now is advocating against Child Trafficking. I have a few more meetings lined up and I can't wait! So far I have been nothing but overly impressed and inspired by the work being done around the country. I am excited to make lasting partnerships with these organizations and provide future interns the opportunity to contribute to the work being done by them.

I am also doing some work with KITE, the organization the Robin and Heather are interning full time. I am helping to review and edit their Strategic Plan which is under revision and preparing a Fundraising Guidelines Package to provide tips and strategies about applying for grant funding and securing project funds. I am happy to be able to contribute some of my own experience and training to this organization! Other than that I have been working on preparing evaluation methods and tools for our current internship projects and planning the Mid-Summer Retreat for the cooperants which is taking place at Cape Coast next weekend!

I am still walking on sunshine with a smile spread from ear to ear as I continue to get more comfortable and engaged in my community in Accra. I love having my familiar street vendors who recognize me and know my name as I walk by! I have started learning the Ghanaian drum, have gotten my hair weaved Ghanaian style, have had some dresses made in local fabrics and designs and have really begun picking up the language (helped by the 14 year old daughter of my hair lady who spent the 4 hours it took teaching me Twi and having practice conversations!..I'm glad I could provide her with entertainment). All in all I am trying as much as possible to dive head first into the experience and make the most out of the short time I have here.

I can't believe we have been in Ghana for a month already! So far it has been an absolutely unparalleled learning and growing experience and I know that it can only continue from here.

Stay tuned for more adventures and updates!

-Davina

No comments:

Post a Comment