Monday, July 11, 2011

Fabric galore!

Maakye! 
I’ve been in Ghana for a month now, and I can hardly believe it’s going by so quickly! Last week at work I was allowed to follow around some of my colleagues to see the different meetings they take part in. I’m finding the operations of FoN very democratic: they invite representatives from religious groups, women groups, business groups, the district assembly, chieftaincies, and NGOs to the forums, and they are almost always open to the public, unless productive decisions must be made. The community is always consulted or surveyed as well. Although these processes make the workings of FoN more tedious perhaps then just an executive decision, I am appreciating the bottom-up grassroots approach FoN takes with all of their projects and learning a lot about community participation and consensus building.
I see that Sara has updated the blog on our weekend adventures already. She's a speedy one! I also had a fantastic weekend. I also love my new hairdo and the new foods we got to try. On Saturday we also explored Market Circle looking at fabrics. The popular dresses here are very beautiful, so Sara and I have been browsing the large array of fabrics and dreaming of the dresses we'll have made. 
How will we ever choose?
Have a wonderful week, wherever you are. 
Caro 

No comments:

Post a Comment